Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Banana Potato... NA NA NAAAAAAH

Just the greatest thing ever....

I remember watching this movie for the first time when we were still in Vietnam- we walked into the theater with our big 3-D glasses, five minutes late, and enjoyed subtitles :) The minions will forever hold a place in my heart. (This song is actually my ringtone... don't judge.)

This connects to food, believe it or not! For breakfast this morning, I had one of the BEST smoothies I have ever had. I blended coconut milk with avocado, spinach, watermelon, and frozen BANANAAAAAAH. I don't know if I'll ever be able to replicate it, but it'll be a good day if I can. I tend to not follow recipes (like... ever.) so the odds of something working twice in a row is rare, so I've learned to have a greater appreciation for things the first time around.

After a long, tiresome day of classes, I was craving something warm and delicious. Soup sounded just "meh," and I wasn't in the mood for a sandwich. A bag of potatoes peaked itself from the top of the fridge and I thought about what I could make with those. Mashed potatoes, potato salad, potato soup... SCALLOPED potatoes. And boy did I scallop the hell out of those things. Oh my gosh. Using Veganaise, nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, Daiya cheese, and sautéed onions and garlic, I put that sauce on the potatoes under the broiler for five minutes. Heaven. Even my roommates liked them! That made me happy.

For some reason, when people hear vegetarian, vegan, or gluten free, people think taste is compromised. Okay, sometimes texture can get a little funky and flavor might seem like it's missing something, but I feel like for the most part, I've had only good experiences with alternatives. My next mission is mac and cheese! I'm sure if the scalloped potatoes were good than I have a good base recipe for the cheese sauce. Now, just to recreate the Panera Bread Bowl...

Until next time, my lovelies.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment