Sunday, February 16, 2014

Love is in the Air

Halfway through the month! It’s crazy how fast time is going by, and how smooth this is going. I’ve been busy with school and work, so I haven’t been too frequently updating my blog, so I’m sorry about that; I’ll try to be better about it!

I came to the realization a few days ago that, on Tuesday, I register for my final quarter of college! And, since I’ve already met my major requirements (besides one class), in order to keep my ‘full-time’ student status with 12 credits, I’m taking some fairly easy classes. The one class I have to take is a torturous one. It’s every day, from 8:30-9:20. EVERY stinkin’ DAY. Who does that?! Arg. That took away my ability to take a dance class, which I wasn’t too happy about, but I guess I’ll just have to deal with it.

Currently, it’s 1pm on Sunday… The wind is blowing and the rain is falling, and I’m sitting in a coffee shop drinking a latte. Norah Jones, via KPLU, is making my mind wander all sorts of directions. I started thinking about this weekend thus far, and my recap of Valentines Day…

Props to Paig Horton for putting up with me. Since her boyfriend is stuck in Japan waiting to fly back to America, we decided to get together and make food and have a girl’s night in. We had pulled up my vegan Pinterest board and we were ready to do some baking and cooking. After a quick trip to the store, we get back to her house and start prepping everything. We planned to make braided spaghetti bread, jalapeno poppers, BBQ cauliflower, and peanut butter chocolate bars. Well, that didn’t all happen. I started on the bread while Paig prepped for the jalapenos. As she was adding the ingredients, I caught the label of the breadcrumbs- it said “Italian” style. Of course, I check the ingredients, and it has cheese. Okay, so those were out. While the spaghetti was boiling, she starts mixing the goods for the peanut butter bars. They called for graham cracker crust- long story short, milk fat. Now, she’s just annoyed (bless her heart) as I keep apologizing for ruining everything. We ended up with a huge role of awesome spaghetti bread and an improvised recipe for the peanut butter bars. Both turned out delicious! I really did feel bad putting such a constraint on our cooking adventures. The thought crossed my mind to just let her add the ingredients, but I had made it half of the month, and I wasn’t about to just throw in the towel.

My latte is nearly gone, now. The coconut syrup is more apparent at the bottom- I like that.

You know what else I like? Being vegan. I really think this is something I’m going to stick with for a while. I feel good (besides being bloated from Aunt Flo), and in my continuous research, I feel more, I don’t know the word…Grateful? Loving? Humane? about my decision to not eat or use animal products.  It’s caused me to be more cautious (maybe that’s the word?) about knowing what’s in my food.

What I’m still trying to figure out is balance- how to not eat only cabrs one day, and only veggies the next. I’m am learning, though, that this isn’t an overnight process. It takes 28 days to break a habit, they say, so I’m being patient with myself.  I haven’t, knowingly, eaten dairy, meat, eggs, or anything of the sort in 16 days, and I feel ready and eager to go many more! J




No comments:

Post a Comment