Saturday, January 25, 2014

5 days until launch.

With five days until I'm dairy-free, meat-free, and animal-product free, I made some weak (but delicious) decisions today...

After waking up at 0300 to train AFROTC cadets, when 0800 rolled around, I was ravenous. A couple of us went to McDonald's... It's all downhill from here. My hunger spoke louder than my sensibility, and I purchased a McGriddle. I modified it a bit, however. I had them hold the meat, cheese, and asked only for egg whites. I was hardly anticipating how sweet the pancake-bun-biscuit- thing was going to be; I couldn't even eat half of it before I had to get a second refill on my luke-warm, bitter drip coffee. Needless to say, it'll be another 10 years before I go back there.

When evening rolled around, an IKEA trip seemed necessary, so my roommate, her finace, and I ventured down to the warehouse wonderland. After nearly two hours of jumping, sitting, and sprawling on nearly every bed, couch, and chair in that store, our need for a drink was very apparent. Once we got through the various house displays and lengthy lines, the bistro was so conveniently placed at the exit, plastered with signs of Froyo cones and bowls of Swedish meatballs. Already on a bad role from this morning, I figured 'eh, what the heck!' and went for the $1 cone of delicousness. After 10 minutes, I was already regretting it. It's sweet vanilla taste was quickly turned sour once it hit my stomach- I'll spare you the rest of the details. You're welcome.

So, what happens next? We want dinner. Seattle is full of amazing restaurants, and there are always new places to explore. A few times a week, driving back and forth to UW, I pass a restaurant called RoRo BBQ. With no deliberation, dinner was decided. Although I don't eat much meat, I am a sucker for a good pulled pork sandwich, and that's just what I had. Well, kind-of. I had a 'pulled pork sundae.' Bottom layer was the meat, followed by succulent baked beans, topped with a decadent layer of homemade Mac and Cheese. Ho-ly-OMG. It was so good. Since my stomach was already twisting from the froyo, I figured I dive into one of my other weaknesses, which is Mac and Cheese. As of a few hours later, I'm feeling fine. Some dairy digests differently, but it's very unpredictable.



Anywho, as the countdown continues, I will limit days like this where I consume WAY too much of what I shouldn't. I don't want to think of the journey in terms of what I can't have, but in terms of the new things I'm excited to try. 

I'm still convinced it'll be a challenging but very rewarding experience :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment