Sunday, March 23, 2014

Feels like forever and a day...

Finals are over and the countdown has begun- 82 days until graduation. It really feels like yesterday that I started college. It's hard to believe that by October, I will be living in New Mexico. I've been doing research (on Yelp... don't judge) on what vegan restaurants are in Albuquerque, and there, surprisingly, is a lot! AND THEY HAVE A TRADER JOE'S. That made my day when I discovered that gem.

The journey of becoming vegan has slowing integrated into my lifestyle. Challenging, yes. Have I made mistakes? Yes. But, overall, I've been proud of this transition and decision to no longer consume animal products. The next part of this lifestyle change is figuring out how to take out all products that test on animals (you can find the whole list here). The list seems to go on and on, and that's simply heartbreaking. I often wondered when changing my diet how and why the meat and dairy industries have gotten to be where they are, and how people think it's acceptable. But I can't call myself a vegan without considering the products I use, and whether or not an animal was harmed when testing my makeup, face wash, shampoo, or acne medication. I have been slowly pulling these products and companies from my possession, and vowing to never support them again.

I hope that over the weeks I've been writing these blog posts, someone has been inspired to truly think about what they're eating, and now the challenge I'm being vocal about is not just what we're eating but the products we're using. I know I'm not going to end animal cruelty by going vegan, but I am helping make a change; giving around 100 animals their lives back, freeing them from a doomed fate.

I can't quite think of a way to wrap up this long-overdue post... This will have to do :)



No comments:

Post a Comment